Monday March 27, 2017 10:47 PM EST

Onkar Singh Bindra | Gold River, CA
Posted: 06:30 PM | June 30, 2011

Jawala Singh, a Unique Ghadri Baba

Gallery

Photo Source:

Jawala Singh in 1912 to 14 in the United States (left), in the 1930s in India (source: lib.berkeley.edu, ghadarmemorial.net).

>> Launch Gallery

Photo Source:

The Sikh Temple in Stockton, 1915

>> Launch Gallery

Photo Source:

Gobind Lal Behari 

>> Launch Gallery

Baba Jawala Singh, also known as Santa Singh, was a unique personality. Known as the Potato King, he founded scholarships at the University of Calfornia at Berkeley, he was granthi of the Stockton gurdwara, first vice president of the Hindustan Ghadar Party for independent India, and president of the Kisan Sabha of Punjab, a peasant union.

Jawala Singh was born in 1866 to a kumhar, or potter, family in village Thathian of Amritsar District. His father, Ghanaia Singh, was a small farmer. Under the British rule, Punjabi farmers were treated as lease holders of the land they had owned during Maharaja Ranjit Singh’s regime. They had to pay exorbitant lease charges, in cash, which they had to borrow from moneylenders who charged high interest rates. This economic hardship forced many Punjabis to go abroad to earn a living.

Jawala Singh left his village, in 1905. He worked his way through many countries, including Panama and Mexico, before reaching San Francisco in 1908.

There he met Visakha Singh Dadehar, who also reached San Francisco in 1908. Originally was from Amritsar, he served as a granthi in the Indian cavalry. In 1907 he left home and reached Shanghai, where he served as a policeman for nine months before leaving for California.

Together, Jawala Singh and Visakha Singh leased a 500-acre ranch in Holtsville, near Stockton. Visakha Singh spent all his time on the farm, while Jawala Singh attended to outside duties, including public relations. They became successful potato growers. And Jawala Singh became known as the Potato King.

Jawala Singh was a very foresighted nationalist who understood the value of education. He built good relations with UC Berkeley and, incredibly, founded scholarships for Indian scholars within four years of his arrival to the United States.

Echoes of Freedom, a 2001 publication of the UC Berkeley library, published the notification of the scholarships issued on Jan.1, 1912, with his signature, and included his picture. The scholarships were to cover the cost of two-way transportation from India and meet all expenses here, including room and board at 1731 Allston Way, Berkeley.

This home, purchased by the Pacific Coast Khalsa Diwan Society, was called ‘Guru Nanak Dev Vidyarthi Ashram’. Smoking and drinking were prohibited.

Jawala Singh enlisted support of his friends Santokh Singh, Sohan Singh and Wisakha Singh, to underwrite the scholarships. Though underwritten by Sikhs and named Sri Guru Govind Singh Educational Scholarships, the scholarships were open to men and women of all communities hailing from anywhere in India.

The 1912 awardees of the scholarships included a Christian, a Sikh, a Muslim and three Hindus. They were the first and only awardees. The scholarship project ended because of financial problems. The sponsors had to assume increased responsibility for the Sikh Temple in Stockton and for the Ghadar Party.

The Holtsville farm had one room reserved for Sri Guru Granth Sahib. A vast majority of the East Indians in California were Sikhs. In the beginning, they held congregational prayers at different farms, by rotation. The first Sikh congregational prayer in the United States, in presence of the Guru Granth, was held on November 1, 1911, almost 100 years ago, at Sardar Nand Singh camp near Stockton.

Soon, congregation formed the Pacific Coast Khalsa Diwan Society with Sant Teja Singh as its founding president. The society was incorporated on May 27, 1912, and functioned from Berkeley until October 1, 1917. The society purchased the 1930 South Grant Street residential lot in Stockton in September 1912.

Hundreds of American people protested the hoisting of the Nishan Sahib but they were pacified and satisfied when Teja Singh explained its religious importance for the Sikhs. The first prayer was held there on October 24, 1912, in a small pre-existing frame building.

This first Gurdwara in the United States is now a historical landmark of California. Jawala Singh and Visakha Singh served as its first Granthis.

A new wooden structure, including a prayer hall and a langar hall, was completed in 1915. Its dedication was held on 426th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak, on November 21, 1915. Both Jawala Singh and Visakha Singh had left for India to carry out the mission of the Ghadar Party. Professor Arthur U. Pope, of the philosophy department, delivered the keynote address and spoke of Sikhism’s pure and lofty monotheism, strong opposition to idol worship, rejection of the caste system, equality of all, sharing and tolerance of other religions.





Please LOGIN or REGISTER to leave comments

WEATHER
°F/-17°C
Forcast

MORE TOP STORIES

more stories...


Videos

Vaisakhi: Birth of Guru Nanak and of the Khalsa

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 | 11:56 PM

Status of Sikhs in the Army

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 | 10:56 PM

Maj. Kalsi Asks For US Military to Open Doors to Sikhs

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2013 | 10:40 AM

American Sikh Congressional Caucus

Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 | 10:13 PM

Sponsored Links

NEWSPAPER
ADVERTISE
Reach Us
  • Call Us
    202-550-9990
  • Mail Us
    Sikh News Network
    National Press Building
    529 14th Street, NW
    Suite 950
    Washington, D.C. 20045
  • Contact Us

© 2001-2013 Sikh News Network, LLC

Help |  Contact Us

Site designed and maintained by Akal Purakh Technologies
This page is best viewed in Internet Explorer 9, Firefox and Chrome